As a preferred supply chain partner for leading electronics manufacturers, Smith & Associates is committed to fulfilling our customers’ needs for products free from hazardous elements as required by legislation that is in place and pending in several regions of the world.
Smith & Associates distributes electronic components and computer products worldwide. As a preferred supply chain partner for leading electronics manufacturers, Smith is committed to fulfilling our customers’ needs for products free from hazardous elements such as lead, mercury, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyls (PBB), and polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PDE), and other substances of very high concern (SVHC) . Smith is progressively identifying and offering products that are lead free as such products are available and considered to be in compliance with the applicable environmental legislation, including but not limited to the European Union’s Directive 2002/95/EC, better known as the Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) legislation, China RoHS, REACH, and WEEE.
- Smith’s Environmental Policy has been implemented to identify materials that meet RoHS and REACH standards.
- Smith will work with its customers to encourage component manufacturers to eliminate solder, lead, and other hazardous substances from their products and to use part numbers and spec sheets to identify RoHS and REACH compliant products.
- Smith will recommend environmentally compliant substitute components whenever possible.
- Smith will relay material content information on manufacturer packaging to customers on request.
- Smith will make amendments to its Environmental Policy when necessary to adapt to changing customer needs, the availability of new information or information sources, or based on economic factors.
When a customer requests confirmation that products they specify are environmentally compliant, Smith will utilize the following Four-Point Plan:
- Smith will utilize specification sheets from part manufacturers’ websites to check for material content.
- Smith will contact part manufacturers directly for material content when the information is not available in the public domain.
- Smith will rely on its franchised partners and other suppliers for material content information when sourcing through such outlets.
- Smith will utilize a third party material content database provider when material content information is not available directly from the manufacturer.
Upon request, Smith will identify for its customer the source of environmental content information.
Customers may consult their sales representatives if they have specific requirements regarding environmental content. The availability of RohS and/or REACH compliant products and information on product content will be dependent on component manufacturer ability to meet market demand.